Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Detours, Distractions & Determination

What a whirlwind of a year where there were moments I was constantly asking God, "why"?  Many of you know I returned home stateside with a broken left knee but I was determined to keep my commitments since I had booked almost the entire year of services.  Through the grace of God and ten months later I was ready for surgery.

Detour #1, when you go one year and eight months walking on one leg the compensation kind of wears down the joint of the other knee.  This was an unplanned detour; but I'm one of those folks that say, well if most people are moving on their own in 12weeks; I can do it in three.  Pure determination my goal was achieved and I was back on the itineration trail.  Eight weeks later, while driving back from Kentucky, I felt like had torn something in my knee so I called my doctor to find out I had been exposed to (MRSA), a flesh eating bacteria.  "Detour, Detour", which involved two back to back emergency surgeries and 8 weeks of pharmaceutical therapy. After that enormous distraction I was ready for my second knee replacement.

Detour #3, I woke up in ICU, due to complications with breathing.  Determined to get home soon and finish up with Rehab.  One can not believe what a distraction it is to be tied down to therapy and rehab can be, for someone like me.  I'm a multi tasking person and now I have one focus.

At this point I was determined, Lord, You called me to Lithuania, and God you know the work is not complete.  Why am I constantly being distracted?.....Trust me, missionaries don't get special treatment with the Lord when it comes to answers to prayer....He loves us all the same and grows us as He sees fit.

Finally, Spring was on the horizon and I'm headed out for my first big trip on my own, to a town I will never forget, "Wapakonetta, OH".  I was determined, two days before, I started feeling ill.   "Are you kidding me?"  I'm ignoring this distraction, packed my bags.   I can't go back on my word--this is a commitment that a dear missionary friend opened the door for me.  I'm determined to head out on this three plus hour drive.

Upon arrival I met up with such lovely people.  One couple whom had served in missions prayed with me after I mentioned I wasn't feeling so well.  Aren't you amazed that God shows up even when you are weak in wonderful ways.   After service, I went back to the hotel and began to get chills.

While talking to my spiritual dad about how I was feeling; the chills began again to find out that these weren't chills but I was experiencing  seizures due to "Sepsis", are you kidding me?

I can continue my story of this whirlwind of a year but at this point I"m sure you all get the picture.

I'm grateful for all those who prayed me through each detour, distraction and strengthened me in my determination to press onward towards the goal.   Thank the Lord that I'm focused on filling out the papers to return to Lithuania soon.


No comments: